A Pencil in God’s Hand

I live near a Missionaries of Charity institute and what strikes me about them is their availability, serenity and commitment to serve the inmates be they infants, children, physically or mentally challenged people, diseased, or even aged. The sisters devote their time and energy to caring for these people and making them feel loved. They become the face and hands of God to these people just as the inmates become Christ to the sisters. Therefore, a mutual service is constantly taking place. Christ is ever present there as every action is done in His name and for His glory.
I recall having a Missionary of Charity as my catechism teacher. I don’t remember much of what she taught me but the Gospel values I picked up from her life and the way she carried herself, have remained with me. I fondly remember her as being the most gentle and kind person I’ve ever come across. She was soft-spoken and didn’t seem the jolly type but her face revealed her inner contentment and serenity. I was quite young at the time and her demeanor made a strong impression on me.

Unfortunately, a year or two later she was transferred and I remember feeling a bit disappointed at her absence. I never gave much thought to her then but as I reflect upon it now I’m convinced that the Spirit of God rested on her and allowed her to work with some of the most challenging people and situations, and yet be so serene and happy. I’ve never met Mother Teresa in person but I’ve met her through this wonderful sister (and through many others after her) who taught me more than the catechism – she showed me what God can write with a person who is willing to be a pencil in His hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]