Underworld: Blood Wars (2016) (Movie Review)



Dir: Anna Foerster
Starring: Kate Beckinsale, Theo James, Lara Pulver
Dur: 1 hr 31 mins
Genre: Action – horror
Rating: 2/10
PG: Extremely gory. The action is graphic. One of the antagonists wears revealing clothes. A few kisses. One expletive.

I had watched a part of one of the previous films in this series but don’t remember much save for the feeling I had: disgust. I was wondering why I felt that way towards the film but could not recollect. When I heard about this film my first reaction was to check out the trailer. The trailer did reveal that there would be a lot of bloodshed and gory violence with a story of a woman who is out to save herself and her daughter. Things were looking good so far but then it came to actually watching the film… and I must confess it was awful and disappointing. Somewhere towards the end I remembered why I had stopped watching this series before: it was nonsensical, violent and downright silly.

I am no fan of vampires. Frankly, I think Vampires Suck! And I’m not referring to the film of that name. That sucked too albeit it revealed the senselessness in a senseless, comical way (don’t mind the pun). Vampire fans might be itching to drink my blood for this review but I couldn’t care less. I still find it strange why vampires are preferred over lycans (werewolves, for those who are wondering). Lycans have obvious advantages over vampires and yet it is the latter that are the principal focus of films. So what if the lycans don’t look so good in their werewolf form, that doesn’t make them bad, does it. I would like to see a film of this sort told from the lycan point of view. Not that I would enjoy watching it. I would watch it just to see the way the story is shaped from the lycan perspective. I’m sorry if I seem to favour lycans; I don’t. I’m a fan of neither.

If you’re watching this, you better be brave. It’s bloodcurdling and oozing. Besides, it’s mindless. If you watch the prequel, Underworld: Awakening (2012), you might have a better understanding of the story, not that it makes much of a difference. The film is a serious waste of time. I don’t recommend it if you are a person who values time. If you are a fun-lover with plenty of time on your hands then you may indulge in this bloodfest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]