The Mummy (2017) [Movie Review]



Dir: Alex Kurtzman
Starring: Tom Cruise, Annabelle Wallis, Sofia Boutella
Dur: 1 hr 50 mins
Genre: Thriller
Rating: 4/10
PG: Some graphical scene specially with the Mummy.

I have watched the earlier Mummy series and so I wasn’t expecting something entirely novel. This film is a reboot under the patronage of Universal studios. To be absolutely honest, I wasn’t impressed at all. Except for the better graphics and the new faces, the film had little to offer. The romance was forced and the ending was straight out of a fairy-tale. Even Tom Cruise, with all his ‘Mission Impossible’ achievements couldn’t save the film.

The story goes that two greedy U.S. army men accidentally stumble on a great archaeological discovery. Conveniently, (and this for me is where the film already goes downhill) an extremely pretty looking archaeologist, Jenny (Annabelle Wallis) makes an appearance claiming that one of the soldiers stole her map while getting intimate with her the previous night. I don’t know if you can see it but already I can see a romance being forced here. Anyway, one thing leads to another and soon they ‘accidentally’ unleash an evil force upon the earth. The mummy they have accidentally resurrected was a disciple of the devilish Seth and she endeavours to complete the task she was kept from completing when her father’s soldiers mummified her alive!

I expected a lot more thrills than I actually got but the film has a fair share of action. I was surprised to know that the film had a worldwide opening of $172.4 million, the biggest global debut of Tom Cruise's career. Honestly, I can’t tell you how surprised I am because in my opinion the film just wasn’t worth it. I’m a huge fan of Tom Cruise and I’ve seen nearly all of his films and in my opinion this isn’t one of his best, even though he played a massive part in it (and I’m not only talking about acting but even in direction, script, production and post-production).

Russel Crowe plays an interesting though out-of-place character. I liked the earlier Mummy series they gave you the creeps. This unfortunately was simply a theatrical misadventure.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]