Annabelle: Creation (2017) [Movie Review]

Dir: David Sandberg
Starring: Stephanie Sigman, Talitha Bateman, Anthony La Paglia, Miranda Otto
Dur: 2 hrs 50 mins
Genre: Horror
Rating: 7/10

Another film in the Conjuring series. It is a prequel to Annabelle (2014) and attempts to trace the genesis of the malevolent demon that is labeled as one of the worst by the Warrens. The film is really great and has plenty of scares. Although the premise is a bit weak – I mean, really, a doll to be the centre of a horror film?! If you thought so too, then you better watch Annabelle: Creation. I was skeptical about this film. I am a fan of the Conjuring series but the first Annabelle movie wasn’t very good. To be honest, I felt it was quite lame. I was expecting more of the same in this film but it pleasantly surprised me and had me on the edge of my seat, nervously twitching and trying to fast-forward through the film.

To be honest, the first scare I got wasn’t even scary, in the sense that it occurred right at the start, before evil entered the picture. Once the stage is set, things get pretty creepy. I wouldn’t recommend watching this film alone, at night… unless you’re brave. Normally, I enjoy horror films because there is some element of comedy in all the scares and spooks but Annabelle: Creation, follows the footsteps of Conjuring and offers nothing other than pure scares and look-over-your-shoulder moments that linger with you long after the credits have rolled. Since I mentioned credits, there is a scene, post-credits that you could look out for but you wouldn’t miss much even if you skipped it. It is basically a teaser of the 2018 film of this series, starring Valak, the demon nun of Conjuring 2. The violence is quite brutal but not too much considering the protagonists are children. The young actors do a fine job. Although it could have been better, the film doesn’t miss much. The genesis connections are a bit twisted and hard to grasp but I guess that may just be a subjective problem.

The film is really good. Be prepared for plenty of scares and OMG moments. If you’re as sensitive as me, this film might inspire you to pick up your rosary and prayer books and pray harder!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]