Deception (2018) [Serial Review]


Created by: Chris Fedak
Starring: Jack Cutmore-Scott, Ilfenesh Hadera, Lenora Crichlow, Justin Chon, Laila Robins, Amaury Nolasco and Vinnie Jones
Dur: 43 mins each episode (13 episodes)
Genre: Crime-drama
Rating: 4/10


My cousin created quite an interest in me to watch ‘Deception’. He spoke so highly of it that I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. Guess what? The whole “it’s awesome” thing – that’s a ‘deception’. The plot is all-too-familiar: The FBI become associated with a person with ‘special skills’ who serves as an ‘consultant’ but who later goes to become much more. I get it that they tried to make this cop-drama interesting by bringing magic into the fray but that really didn’t help much. The series is quite a let down and the only reason I got through all of it was because I was hoping that its initial aridity was a deception and that the oasis was around the corner, but sadly I was mistaken and I felt parched by the end.

The drama was seriously lacking and left a bad taste in the mouth. It wasn’t all bad though; there were few moments that seemed worthwhile. The acting was bearable, the plot wasn’t. It brought back memories of Castle - a show that was really good, something I can't say about this one! When the villain is called the ‘mystery woman’, you know something is not right! They even got it down to ‘MW’ to make it sound cool and secretive – guess what writers, we aren’t stupid! Sad to say, magic was de-mystified to a certain extent and the FBI were shown in slightly negative light. The production lacked the quality to make it great, perhaps that’s why they were cancelled after just one season.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]