Venom (2018) [Movie Review]


Dir: Ruben Fleischer
Starring: Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams, Riz Ahmed
Dur: 1 hr 52 mins
Genre: Superhero
Rating: 8/10

Am I surprised that Venom is the fifth highest-grossing film of the year? Of course, not. It was great! The film was very well done. Acting, photography, animation, directing, editing, effects etc. were all fantastic. Yes, the script wasn’t the best but so what? It still managed to deliver a smashing performance.


I think Venom was a great Marvel production and fittingly comes before the release of the much awaited Avengers 4. The film is a first, in as much as it stars an anti-hero. The film’s backstory isn’t consistent with the comics and therefore not also with its predecessor, Spiderman 3 (if that could be called a predecessor!). While the character Brock (Tom Hardy) is consistent, the origin of the ‘venom’ symbiote isn’t. I suppose people who aren’t aware of Marvel history will have no reason for faulting the film for taking liberties with the script, those of us who are aware, definitely will have an axe to grind. Nevertheless, overlooking the fact that the film wasn’t faithful to its comic history, it does provide excellent entertainment. In fact, it was so thrilling, I couldn’t convince myself to leave my seat even during the break. The action is gripping, the sequences are well-choreographed and shot. The villain is sufficiently contemptible to give rise to feelings of dislike and provides for quite an interesting eye-whirling final scene. Speaking about the final scene, I feel a bit confused. I don’t want to say too much out of fear of being a spoiler but I think I can safely say that it has a somewhat typical superhero ending – where you are made to believe the worst even though it actually isn’t so.

So anyway before I say anything that might give away something, let me end this review on this note of advice: If you’re looking for something entertaining to watch and don’t mind something dark – Venom is your choice.


Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCn88bfW1o

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]