Hunter Killer (2018) [Movie Review]


Dir: Donovan Marsh
Starring: Gerard Butler, Gary Oldman, Common, Linda Cardellini
Dur: 2 hrs
Genre: Drama-Action
Rating: 5/10
PG: A few expletives.

The trailer promised far more than the film actually ended up delivering. I was quite disappointed with the whole affair as I came in to watch a thoroughly engaging drama but instead was presented with a poorly constructed mish-mash of suspense and triumph.

Butler is perhaps the only stand out in the film. But then again, it is as if the whole film revolves around him. Interestingly, this is not the case but is sadly made to appear so. The film is based on the 2012 novel Firing Point written by Don Keith and George Wallace. I can’t say how good the novel is since I haven’t read it but I’m 100% sure its way better than this hotchpotch of a film. The characters aren’t very well developed and neither is the plot! As a writer myself and a huge movie buff, I can safely say that there were a couple at least if not more, ways of turning this film into the success it ought to have been. It doesn’t surprise me in the least that the film ran into a loss. Against a budget of 40 million dollars it managed to recover only a little over half. Why would anyone want to see a long-drawn drama pickled with occasional wisecracks from the chief protagonist? That’s right! There is no reason!

Despite my dislike for the film there were a few things that it did well and it wouldn’t be fair on my part to gloss over them. The film did something wonderful, brilliant and if I may dare say, prophetic, when it positioned a woman as the President of America. Again, it must be commended for the interesting shift of villains. Even though the film is positioned as a U.S.A vs Russia battle, the real enemy is shown to be an anti-national Russian! Lastly, the film beautifully brings out a number of sound moral as well as human values which are commendable in a film that has its focus the theme of war!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]