7 Messages from the Yogi for Success (Book Review)

Natasha Lorraine Menezes, 7 Messages from the Yogi for Success, ISBN 978-93-83809-51-6, 2014, pp. 101, Rs 120.

The book aims at helping people find success at work through yoga. The author proclaims herself a yogi and is eager to share the benefits of yoga with all interested. Sorry to say, the only success I experienced was going through every page of the book. The book doesn’t give a publisher, so I’m guessing it’s self-published. That explains the poor layout of the book. The matter, it seems has been stretched to reach page 101. The entire book contains matter of only about 50 pages. Talk about waste of paper: some pages have material printed on only one fourth of the page, others half, others three quarters and very few have fully printed pages. I wonder why the Yogi has nothing to say about that?

The page numbering took me a while to figure out. As I reached the end of the first page I was shocked to find that I was reading the eleventh page of the book. I counted back the pages to see if I had missed something but I figured I hadn’t. So I counted again and on the second time I realized that even the blank pages in between had been numbered. The messages of the Yogi aren’t put down emphatically. Each message is backed with some information and sometimes with examples. The book is written in colloquial style and the chapters are kept short. There are a number of exercises given, each promising improvement and enhancement. There is a mistake or two with a few spellings.


The cover page of the book is fantastic and the title is catchy. The matter is a let-down. I confess I’m no fan of yoga and being so, I didn’t find the book giving me any reasons why I should do yoga to find success. I don’t think the author has been forceful enough in stressing the connection between yoga and success. In that respect, I think the book is a failure. The title is misleading. A title like “Yogic Tips for Personal and Workplace Enhancement’ would better represent the content of the book. A last word: I think it’s priced to high.   

Comments

  1. Thanks for your critique Ian, very detailed and informative. Just happened to read your review, else i would have replied earlier :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]