Imitation is Limitation (Book Review)

John Mason, Imitation is Limitation, New Delhi: Orient Paperbacks, 2009, ISBN 978-81-222-0481-0, pp. 206, Rs. 120.

The author is acclaimed as a million dollar best seller. His books and talks have supposedly changed the lives of thousands. I don’t doubt any of that, although I think the praise is a bit exaggerated. He has a way of convincing people. I could sense this through the book. I can only imagine how much more convincing he would be in person.

As I read through the book I found myself getting inspired. Sometimes I would stop and ask myself a question or two. The book is an amalgamation of various thoughts aimed at helping people mature into the people they are meant to be. The content is broken up into small parts which help in self-appropriation. The author seems to have a lot to share but a critical look will reveal that he isn’t sharing much of his own stuff at all. In fact, one of the questions that was repeatedly coming to me was ‘What part of this chapter has the author actually written?’. Each chapter is a mash-up of thoughts and sayings of some personality or another and much of it goes un-acknowledged. In hindsight, I realize that what inspired me was not the apparent wisdom of the book as much as individual quotes or anecdotes. The author has shown himself to be an extensive eclectic. He is well-read no doubt, but has little or nothing of his own to offer. This put me off and thereafter I read the book only for the inspiring quotes and stories. The most commendable thing the author has done is to give punchlines for headings and compiling the matter into readable sections.

The author is evidently Christian and makes references to God and the Bible. His views, whenever mentioned, have a Christian touch. The author is so forceful on the need for change and of doing things differently that the virtue of prudence is neglected altogether. I imagined myself doing some of the things recommended by the author; things that would turn my life around for the better and I felt that it would alienate me from my family, friends and even to a certain extent, society. I understand that being different paves the way for such an outcome but I wonder how many would be willing to walk that path. One can be who one is meant to be without going out on a limb to assert oneself and one’s ideals.

 I feel that references could have been provided for borrowed material. This would enable the reader to also read and get inspired by authors whom the author has been inspired by and has quoted. The only books that have a reference are those which have been published by the same publisher of this book. The latter part of the book has a few errors with spelling and grammar.


The book contains good stuff and has the potential to inspire. The author has a gift for charismatic communication. I wish that all those who read this book will be inspired to live lives that are in keeping with God’s plan for them and hope that they will do so prudently. Change is important; change is necessary but change is also consequential. Weigh the odds before you jump in. Have a wonderful experience. Your life is your to make or break.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]