Never Kiss Your Best Friend (Novel Review)


Sumrit Shahi, Never Kiss Your Best Friend, New Delhi: Rupa Publications, 2015, ISBN 978-81-291-3485-1, Rs. 195, pp. 206.

In a wish-fulfilling, near dramatic way, I chanced upon this novel. I had earlier expressed my desire to read more books from the pen of the author who had fascinated me with his debut novel, Just Friends... and as if by destiny I chanced upon this book. I was excited and put all my other work aside to pore over this book. The novel is a sequel to Just Friends... (I had reviewed that too).

The protagonist, Tanie, is the narrator and she begins with a letter to life in which she rants about a whole lot of things that ought to have caused irritation but didn’t and then she comes to the one thing that shouldn’t have caused irritation but did. That one thing is the return of Sumer to her life. (Flashback) Sumer and Tanie were best buddies. Then for some reason which isn’t clear, they parted ways, until this moment when they are re-united, awkwardly at first and then more comfortably later on. Oh wait, awkwardly again!

What struck me about the book is that it is a lot more mature than the previous one. The author has evidently grown and improved in his style and delivery. The language used is markedly different and the ideas develop in more adult ways (not only sequentially but also relationship wise). Only the slightest hint at a continuation of the story begun in Just Friends...  is made. The characters are pretty much the same, the setting is wholly new and the story only makes allusions to the past.

I found quite some incoherent statements scattered across the narrative. The drama appears a bit forced and the make up-break up cycle gave me a headache. I suppose it reflects a certain reality with regard to young adult relationships but nonetheless, it was mind numbing. The liberal use of expletives and the crass references made to private parts leave a sour taste. The ending appeared to be made in a bit of a hurry but the soliloquies are well scripted and heart touching. The story develops well but has elements of ambiguity. The significance of the title comes across pretty strongly.

On the cover Durjoy Datta comments: “Witty, funny and straight from the heart...” I disagree with the first two qualities but will go along with the third. I confess feeling a bit let down. The story didn’t quite satisfy and left me with an insipid taste on the tongue.        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]