Finding Fanny (2014) [Movie Review]



Dir: Homi Adajania
Starring: Deepika Padukone, Arjun Kapoor, Naseeruddin Shah, Dimple Kapadia, Pankaj Kapoor
Dur: 1 hr 45 mins
Genre: Drama
Rating: 2/10

When the film was released back in 2014, on reading the review I had put it down in my list of films that ought to be watched. Sometime ago, one of my friends on facebook posted that the film is great and must be watched by all Goans. This reminded me of my list and I began trying to get my hands on a copy of the film. I was excited when I did so. One fine day, I set aside time to watch this film… I don’t know where to start. Simply put, IT WAS A DISGRACE AND AN UTTER WASTE OF TIME! You think I’m upset? I’m furious! Not only because of the time I wasted searching for the film and watching it but I’m also upset at all those who promoted the film as something worthwhile. Some may find it so but I don’t, period.

The story made absolutely no sense to me. It started well in a typical Goan village but then slid into humbug storytelling. Wikipedia defines it as a “satirical road comedy film”, I define it as “a brainless waste of time, money and every other resource utilized, satire included”. I fail to see how in any way, any Goan ought to feel affiliated or proud about the film. If it is because of the story then it’s a pathetic show of Goan culture and lifestyle; if it is because of the setting, then again there is hardly anything to feel proud about because they show nothing that is truly authentic. In fact, Singham shows you much more and does it in a better fashion. One priest is featured in the film but he is shown as such a miserable creature. At first he seems like a tiatrist and later as a lame pushover. The only thing I liked about the film was its theme – love. That is perhaps the only thing worthy of making any of us Goans proud. It shows how we love and care for one another even those we don’t know or don’t like too much. And for a change we are not depicted as drunkards and people of loose character.

My favourite scene in the whole film, and it comes twice, is when a young sour-faced boy shows Arjun Kapoor his middle finger. For me, that is the best expression for this film. I think this film deserves a big middle-finger for a rating. Now you know what I think of it. If you still want to go ahead and see it, I am no one to stop you.

(P.S. After reading this don’t even bother googling this film. You will only be losing time and contributing to Google’s profit.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

Andadhun (2018) [Movie Review]