The Case for Christ (Book Review)

Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ, Secunderabad: Om Books, 2001, ISBN 81-7362-319-8, Rs. 119, pp. 297

The Case for Christ is a brilliant book by atheist turned believer, Lee Strobel. Recently, his faith journey has been adapted for the silver screen and I had reviewed the film earlier. However, the film did not satisfy my intellectual curiosity and so I hardly rested till I laid hands on the book. I have to admit right at the outset that the book is great. The first page and the back cover are filled with praises of noteworthy personalities in the field of Christian literature, philosophy and evangelization, for the accomplishments of the author. Reading their appreciation only augured my curiosity and interest.

The book is written from the viewpoint of a journalist but it is easily noticeable that Lee was already a Christian when he wrote this book. He follows the methodology of a criminal journalist (his profession) in documenting and presenting the evidence. The book may not satisfy many people and that is to be expected for either the questions posed are not the same as that of the individual or the answers given aren’t explained sufficiently. But one thing is certain, no one can deny the evidence. I think that deserves to be mentioned. Irrespective of what your background knowledge is on the matter, you cannot and should not be able to say that the evidence proffered does not satisfy you. I think the author has done a good job in ruling out that possibility.

He divides the book into three parts. The first part is called ‘Examining the Record’. Here we are presented with various forms of evidence like eyewitness proof, documentary proof, scientific proof and so on. Each chapter is basically an interview with a renowned scholar in that particular field. The language is fairly simple and comprehensible and so are the arguments. The second part is ‘Analyzing Jesus’. Here the person of Jesus is examined from different perspectives like psychology, forensics etc. The final part is exclusively dedicated to ‘Researching the Resurrection’. This is an exciting section (my personal opinion). Besides being intrigued and enriched by the expositions of the various scholars I was also introduced to these scholars, their specific qualification and their works, which for me (being a candidate to the priesthood) is essential for my personal study.

I warmly and eagerly recommend this book to every person interested in the person of Jesus, believer and non believer alike. I sincerely believe that every believer will greatly benefit from the book and a non believer just might find a spark of faith. Whatever be the case I don’t foresee anyone finishing this book and casting it aside as a waste-of-time and unfruitful product.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Grand Masti 2 (2016) (Movie Review)

The Challenge of Mercy

My Intellectual Life at Divyadaan